January 9, 2017
This week on ForYourBenefit, Bob Leins will host Kristina E. M. Sturgis, CFP® CDFA™ Financial Advisor, NITP Seminar Presenter and Certified Financial Planner™ with Patterson and Associates, a financial advisory practice of Ameriprise Financial Services, Inc.
It is the start of a New Year and studies regularly find that the second most popular New Year’s resolution is to improve one’s finances. What do you want to do differently this year? Listen as we discuss common financial resolutions and how one might implement them successfully.
Life Planning and Money Management: Reflect on your unique SHAPE (Spiritual gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personality, Experience) and purpose.
- Give 10% of income to causes bigger than you: those less fortunate/to make the world a better place
- Save 10%
- Pay your obligations: taxes & loans
- Enjoy what is left
- Plan a vacation
- Declutter and enjoy potential extra cash and charitable deductions
- Make your health a priority
Create a spending plan for 2017: Financial planning is about unlimited desires faced with limited resources. If you don’t write down and prioritize what you really want, you could miss it!
- Have an accountability partner
- Create your statement of Net Worth and update it annually
- Review your credit report
- Do what it takes to get the 5% into TSP to get your full match!
- Rebalance your investment accounts
- Don’t react to headlines and make large moves (100% stock or 100% bonds)
Risk Management & Legacy Planning
- Maintain an adequate emergency fund
- Consider putting money into an HSA
- Get an umbrella/liability policy
- Update home and auto policies
- Seriously consider long-term care insurance
- Get your Will, Financial and Medical POA, and Advanced Medical Directives done
- Review beneficiaries and consider including charities in your legacy plan
For questions or comments, email us in advance at ForYourBenefit@nitpinc.com or call 202-465-3080 this coming Monday. Program begins at 10:05 ET and questions are accepted between 10:20 AM and 10:55 AM.